Volume 10. The Voronezh regional art museum of a name of I.N. Kramsky
Kramskoy Art Museum of Voronezh region is located in the palace, built in the XVIII century by the architect Nevsky.
The Art Museum was opened in Voronezh in 1933, but the formation of museum collections began in the middle of the XIX century, when the city decided to create a provincial art museum. Collection is one hundred years old.
The opening of the Voronezh provincial museum was on the 9 of September in 1894. His art collection had paintings passed by Mitrofanovskiy monastery and Mikhailovsky Cadet Corps of Voronezh (among them - the portraits of the highest personages of the reigning house, made by unknown masters in XVIII-XIX centuries).
In the early 20-ies of XX century the art department of the provincial museum greatly enlarged by the works of Russian and Western European art. A collection of modern art was complemented by the works of P. Kuznetsov, Mashkov, Falk, Natalia Goncharova, and A. Kuprin and the compositions of Kandinsky and Malevich.
In spite of the provincial museum, there was the Museum of Antiquities and Fine Arts at Voronezh State University. The collection of the museum consisted of works of Ancient Egypt, the Antiquity, Russian and Western European paintings, drawings, as well as the numismatic collection.
The Museum of Antiquities and Fine Arts of Voronezh State University and the collection of the provincial museum of art formed the basis of the Voronezh Regional Museum of Fine Arts, founded in the 15 of January in 1933.
In the 22 of June in 1941 Germany invaded the Soviet Union. Most of the collection of Voronezh Art Museum were evacuated to Siberia in Omsk in autumn 1941. These were the works of Russian and Western European paintings, the collections of Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece, the rich numismatic collection, the works of porcelain.
The part of the collection - 1232 storage units, qualified as "exhibits minor nature" - remainded in the occupied Voronezh in June in 1942, and was doomed to death because the Nazis destroyed completely the right bank of Voronezh.
In the 7 of November in 1945 the museum reopened its facilities for visitors.
The clear idea of what burned in the bombing of Voronezh, was stolen and taken by the fascists, doesn’t existe, because the documentary evidence is not found, but the losses are large - the collection of icons, sculptures, porcelain and the collection of pre-war posters. The painting of the 20's and 30's of the XX century, presented works by Natalia Goncharova, Mikhail Larionov, P. Kuznetsov, A. Kuprin, S. Romanovich, works of Kandinsky, Kazimir Malevich was lost. The whole layer, reflecting the history of artistic life in Voronezh in the late XIX – the 30th of XX century was destroyed.
In the archives of the museum there was a document – the "List of Voronezh Museum of Fine Arts, died during the German occupation in 1942”. The total number of dead objects is 1,394 articles.